With this recipe you can bake your own Danish Wienerbrød Chokoladetrekant, Simon Kjær's favourite. There's a video about young Simon Kjær taking a piece of Chokoladetrekant from his parents' kitchen table. Presumably this is his favourite Danish pastry, since the video is full of symbolic references. Let's go ahead and get started.
Check the video at 0:24.
Recipe for 4 pieces.
Ingredients for the Wienerbrød dough
500 gram wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt (fine)
60 gram sugar
50 gram yeast (fresh)
2.5 dl. whole milk
300 gram butter
Ingredients for the filling
100 gram pure marzipan
100 gram sugar
100 gram butter
Ingredients for the finishing
Ingredients for the chocolate glaze
135 gram icing sugar (powdered sugar)
0.5 dl boiling water
65 gram unsweetened cocoa powder
Recipe for the Wienerbrød dough
1. The night before, put the flour in the freezer.
2. Stir the yeast into the cold milk. Beat in the egg. Knead together with the wheat flour, salt and sugar.
3. The dough is now immediately rolled out into a square of approximately 5 mm thick on a floured board.
4. Distribute the butter in thin pieces (slices) on 2/3 of the dough, it is easiest to use a cheese grater.
5. The dough is now folded into 3 layers, so that the 1/3 without butter is placed on top of the butter.
6. Put the dough in the fridge for 10-20 minutes.
7. The dough is rolled out again and folded a second time in 3 layers. Put the dough back in the fridge for 10-20 minutes.
8. The dough is rolled out again and folded for the 3rd time in 3 layers. Put the dough back in the fridge for 10-20 minutes.
9. Roll out the finished dough into a square approximately 50 by 50 cm and 4-5 mm thick. Divide into 4 equal-sized squares.
Preheat the oven
Preheat the oven at 225 degrees C.
Recipe for the filling
1. Mix the marzipan and sugar together first. The butter is added little by little.
2. In the center of each piece of the dough, put a bit of the filling.
3. Fold the dough into a triangle.
Finish and bake
1. Beat the egg that’s needed for finishing.
2. Brush the beaten egg over the triangles.
3. Leave to rise for approximately 20 minutes.
4. Bake in a hot oven at 225 degrees C for approximately 15 minutes.
5. Let cool down the triangles after you’ve taken them out of the oven.
Recipe for the chocolate glaze
1. Mix the icing sugar, cocoa powder and boiling water together in a bowl until you have a uniform glaze.
2. Spread the chocolate glaze over the triangles.
And there you go: Wienerbrød Chokoladetrekant – presumably Simon Kjær’s favourite. Enjoy!
Did you bake Chokoladetrekant? Share a picture via Instagram or info [a] simonkjaergifs.com.